We make music … happen
Central Coast Music Academy is a community-based, non-profit organization dedicated to providing music education to students ages eight and older.
Our mission is to instill an appreciation and enthusiasm for music, help children reap the rewards of music and support and enrich the music programs of our schools.
The Academy was formed to ensure the continuation of a high quality music education program in response to the budget challenges facing our schools.
Did you know?
- Schools that have music programs have significantly higher graduation rates than do those without music programs (90.2% as compared to 72.9%). In addition, those that rate their programs as “excellent or very good” have an even higher graduation rate (90.9 percent). Harris Interactive Inc. (2006), Understanding the Linkages Between Music Education and Educational Outcomes
- On the 2012 SAT, students who participated in music scored an average of 31 points above average in reading, 23 points above average in math, and 31 points above average in writing. College Board SAT, 2012 College-Bound Seniors: Total Group Profile Report.
Formal music instruction helps students in many ways:
- Develops skills required to succeed in the 21st century workforce, including critical thinking, creative problem solving, effective communication and team work
- Keeps students engaged and less likely to drop out of high school
- Improves the atmosphere for learning math, science, reading and other subjects
- Promotes shared ideas and community values across cultures and generations
- Establishes a disciplined human endeavor with intrinsic value to society
Our director, Kathleen Hill, brings more than 30 years of teaching and performing experience to CCMA. She led award-winning high school orchestras in Albuquerque and Las Cruces, New Mexico and was selected as New Mexico’s music educator of the year. She has performed with symphonies, ballet companies, and operas throughout the southwest, including the SLO Symphony, Opera SLO, and Santa Maria Philharmonic. She holds bachelors and masters degrees in music education and conducting.